Safoora Zargar is an MPhil student from Jamia Millia Islamia who belongs to the Kishtwar district of the Jammu region in the territory of the Indian union of Jammu and Kashmir. She is best known for her role in student activism and the Citizenship Amendment Act protests.
Safoora Zargar was born in 1993 (27 years old; as in 2020) in Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir. He grew up in Delhi and NCR. Safoora did most of her education in Faridabad. After graduating with a BA from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University, Safoora went to Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi) where she did a Masters in Sociology. In 2019, he enrolled in an MPhil in sociology at Jamia Millia Islamia.
Height (approx.): 5 ′ 4 ″
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Black
Family and caste
Safoora Zargar belongs to a Mulsim family from Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir.
Fathers and brothers
Safoora Zargar’s father, Shabir Hussain Zargar is a retired Indian government employee who used to work with a PSU. His mother is a housewife. Safoora has a sister, Sameeya Zargar.
Relationships, husband and children
Safoora Zargar married Saboor Ahmed Sirwal on October 6, 2018 in Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir, and it was an arranged marriage.
Protests against the CAA
While pursuing her MPhil in Jamia Millia Islamia, Safoora became a member of the media wing of the Jamia Coordination Committee, the wing that is allegedly described as one of the main agencies to trigger anti-CAA protests in the country. Safoora campaigned widely against the Citizenship Amendment Act in Delhi and NCR. He led many protests against the CAA in the region. During one of those protests on February 10, 2020, he passed out in a fight between the police and the students.
On April 10, 2020, the Delhi police arrested Safoora Zargar at her residence in Delhi in connection with FIR 48/2020 filed in the Jaffrabad road blockade case. Delhi police accused her of being a key “conspirator” in the violence that erupted in northeast Delhi at Jafrabad metro station on February 22 and 23, 2020. In the violence, at least 53 people were killed, in mostly Muslim.
After appearing before the Metropolitan Magistrate on April 11, 2020, Safoora was in preventive detention for two days. Although she was granted bail on April 13, 2020, she was immediately re-arrested by the Delhi Police on the same day in a different case regarding FIR 59/2020, and on April 20, 2020, the Delhi Police Delhi brought a few more charges against him.
Safoora Zargar was also charged under the Illicit Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). Zargar has reportedly been charged with up to 18 crimes, including rioting, possession of weapons, attempted murder, incitement to violence, sedition, murder, and promoting enmity between different groups on the grounds of religion. Since April 15, 2020, Safoora has been housed in Tihar Prison in Delhi. She was reportedly kept in solitary confinement in prison for almost two weeks to protect her and her unborn baby from COVID-19. On June 4, 2020, the Patiala House Court in Delhi denied Safoora Zargar bail for her alleged role in the Delhi riot conspiracy case. In dismissing his request for bail, Judge Dharmendra Rana said:
When you choose to play with embers, you can’t blame the wind for carrying the spark too far and spreading the fire. The inflammatory acts and speeches of the co-conspirators are admissible u / s 10 of the Indian evidence even against the applicant / defendant ”.
On June 24, 2020, she was released on bail by the Delhi High Court. Safoora had requested bail citing her pregnancy and serious medical problems.
Pregnancy trolls and social networks
Safoora was reportedly three months pregnant at the time of her arrest. As soon as her pregnancy report came out, social media was flooded with trolls criticizing her premarital pregnancy. Many people started murdering his character on social media by sharing his unrelated photos and videos. In one of those couple sex videos, people claimed that Safoora was in the video; However, it was later discovered that she was not Safoora in the video but rather a PornHub model, Selena Banks.
- Hotel: Eros Hotel New Delhi
- Clothing brand: Jack and jones
- Novelist: George RR Martin
Facts / Trivia
- As he grew up in Delhi, he lacks the typical Kashmiri features or the Kashmiri accent.
- When five-year-old Safoora was studying at a school in Delhi, she was the only Muslim in her class.
- In an interview, she recalled her childhood and said that while studying at a school in Delhi, she was often teased for being Muslim, and her fellow students often called her:
You are a terrorist, go back to Pakistan. ”
- Being considered an outsider in Delhi, she says:
I belong to Delhi; I have lived here for 20 years. I grew up here, went to the University of Delhi and am now pursuing my master’s degree. Why should it be seen as an outsider? ”
- Safoora loves to read, write and travel; and she is also an aspiring civil servant.
- He loves to read and recite Shayaris.
- During her graduation from Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi, Safoora was associated with Women’s Development Cell, and also ran a magazine on campus.
- Before pursuing her Master of Sociology at Jamia, Safoora had pursued a career in marketing for almost a year and a half.
- According to her sister, Sameeya Zargar, Safoora has a history of polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) and a urinary tract infection (UTI).
- In 2018, he widely protested the Kathua Rape case.
- In 2018, he also protested the unrest in Syria.