Badruddin Ajmal is the Chairman of the All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) and three times (2009, 2014 and 2019) Member of Parliament from Assam’s Dhubri Lok Sabha constituency. Besides being a politician, he is also an established businessman, industrialist, philanthropist, and social worker.
Badruddin Ajmal was born in the village of Ali Nagar, located in the Hojai district of Assam. His full name is Badruddin Ajmal Qasmi. There is confusion about your official date of birth. According to a source, he was born on Sunday, February 12, 1950 (70 years old; from 2020); However, according to another source, his year of birth is 1956 (66 years as of 2020). Ajmal completed Fazil-e Deoband (equivalent to a master’s degree in Islam Theology and Arabic) of Darul Uloom Deoband, UP, and joined their family business in 1975.
Family and caste
Ajmal belongs to a prosperous business family in the Muslim community.
Fathers and brothers
Badruddin’s father, Haji Ajmal Ali, was a rice farmer who traveled to Mumbai in 1951 and became a perfumer. Later, Haji Ajmal Ali established his own perfume company under the name “Ajmal Perfumes”, which was acquired by his sons after his death.
Maulana Badruddin Ajmal has four siblings: Mohammad Amir Uddin Ajmal Ali, Mohammad Sirajuddin Ajmal (former MP), Fakhruddin Ajmal and Abdulla Ajmal.
Wife and sons
Badruddin Ajmal married Rezwana Ajmal on December 30, 1979. The couple have seven children: six boys and one daughter. Two of his sons, Abdur Rahim Ajmal and Abdur Rehman Ajmal, are also active in politics.
As a politician
In 2005, he formed a political party under the name Assam United Democratic Front (AUDF), which was later renamed All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) before the 2009 elections in Lok Sabha. In 2006, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Assam simultaneously from two electoral districts: South Salmara and Jamunamukh. In total, his party managed to win 10 seats in its first election. This was a breakthrough for Badruddin Ajmal, who was not even recognized by then-Assam CM Tarun Gogoi before the elections. Then, in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Badruddin Ajmal won from the Dhubri Lok Sabha seat by defeating INC MP Anowar Hussain.
Since then, it has managed to retain Dhubri’s seat in the 2014 and 2019 Lok Sabha polls. Assam has 14 seats in Lok Sabha, and Ajmal’s AIUDF party won 3 of these. After this, his stature in Assam and the politics of the country grew stronger.
As an entrepreneur
There is no doubt that the Ajmal political party has become the third most important link in Assam politics; however, his identity is not just due to politics. He runs the world-renowned perfume producing company “Ajmal Perfumes”. In 2011, the company reported a turnover of Rs. 1,475 million rupees. Furthermore, their business is not limited to perfumes, but ranges from the real estate sector to the leather industry, tea production, health services and education.
- He is the president of an NGO Markazul Ma’arif, which runs schools, hospitals and orphanages with the sole motto of fighting for the betterment of the part of society with economic and educational deficiencies. Besides that, the NGO also facilitates many other social, educational, and economic development activities in different parts of India. Since its inception in 1982, the organization has done immense work for the benefit of people in the fields of poverty, illiteracy, and basic immunization, especially in Assam and other northeastern states.
- He is the trustee of Haji Abdul Majid Memorial Public Trust, Hojai. This trust is best known for the construction of the Haji Abdul Majid Memorial Hospital and Research Center multi-crore charity hospital in Hojai, Assam.
- He is also the director of Jamiat Ulama-e-Assam and Tanzim Madaris-e Quamia of Assam, the entire non-governmental Madrasa Board of Assam that prepares the study program and conducts statewide exams for more than 400 madrasas. He is also associated with various other schools, madrasas and orphanages, either as president or secretary in different parts of Northeast India.
- He is the president of the Markazul Ma’arif Education and Research Center (MMERC), Mumbai, an institution that serves the modern needs of madrassa graduates by teaching them the English language and also encourages research work in the socio-religious and religious domains. economical. In 2006, the Ajmal family came up with another noble idea and facilitated higher education for women in Assam through the ‘Maryam Ajmal College of Science and Technology for Women’ in Hojai.
Note: In addition to all the aforementioned associations, it is associated with various other socio-economic organizations and non-governmental organizations.
Children are always delighted when they receive a new dress from their parents, but children who lost their parents feel deprived of this moment. Today I feel inner happiness inviting orphaned students from Ajmal Modern Residential School to Ajmal House and providing them with new dresses. pic.twitter.com/0RRSXHaXya
– Maulana Badruddin Ajmal (@BadruddinAjmal) March 11, 2020
- In December 2017, Badruddin Ajmal abused and threatened a journalist during a press conference when asked if he would join the alliance with the BJP or the INC. Ajmal received strong criticism in the wake of the incident. Likewise, the journalist registered an FIR against him after which Ajmal apologized for his behavior.
#CLOCK AIUDF head Badruddin Ajmal in Hatsingimari, Assam threatens to smash the head of the journalist who asked him if he will ally himself with Congress or the BJP in the future: Go dogs, how much money has BJP bought you for? Go, I’ll break your head. Go file a case against me. pic.twitter.com/XQvp5mZ4it
– ANI (@ANI) Dec 26, 2018
- In October 2019, Badruddin Ajmal sparked a controversy when he blatantly rejected Assam’s two-son policy. He said,
Muslims will continue to have children, they will not listen to anyone. Our religion and I personally believe that those who want to come into the world will come and no one will be able to stop it.
- In November 2020, AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal was exposed to public disdain when several members of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) shared a video claiming that people were raising slogans of “Pakistan Zindabad” while welcoming Badruddin. at Silchar airport. On the same day, AIUDF held a press conference and denied claims that it was an attempt by the BJP together with some media channels to smear AIUDF by distorting the actual slogan “Aziz Khan Zindabad” for “Pakistan Zindabad”.
Look at the nerve of these anti-national fundamentalists who shout PAKISTAN ZINDABAD as they welcome MP @BadruddinAjmal.
– Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) November 6, 2020
AIUDF press statement on cheap BJP politics, how they, along with a section of the media, distorted the slogan ‘Aziz Khan Zindabad’ to make it ‘Pakistan Zindabad’. pic.twitter.com/obzPASSLNg
– AIUDF Officer (@AIUDFOfficial) November 6, 2020
- In December 2020, BJP member Satya Ranjan Borah filed an FIR against Badruddin’s “Ajmal Foundation,” a charitable public trust, alleging that the organization has been receiving funds from foreign agencies that have ties to terrorist groups. The complaint filed was based on a report by the Legal Rights Observatory (LRO), a legal rights organization affiliated with the Hindu nationalist organization Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). While speaking to a media correspondent, Badruddin Ajmal denied the allegations leveled at the Ajmal foundation and also denied receiving funds from any foreign agency linked to terrorism. He said that the FIR filed against him is part of a political conspiracy that has been hatched by the leader of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party in Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, to discredit him, his party (AIUDF) and the Ajmal Foundation. He also demanded an investigation at the highest level to reveal the truth.
According to the affidavit submitted by Badruddin Ajmal to the Election Commission of India, he has a net worth of Rs 78 crore, as of 2019.
Facts / Trivia
- Ajmal and his three older brothers were born in a madrasa in their village.
- Several times his name has been included in the list of the 500 most influential Muslims in the world by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Center (RISSC) for his role in Philanthropy, Charity and Development activities.
- The father of 7 children, Badruddin Ajmal, is one of the two members of the Indian Parliament who has the most children.