Devon Conway is a New Zealand-South African cricketer who plays for the New Zealand cricket team. Devon began his cricket journey when he was 18 years old and playing for the cricket team at St Johns College, Johannesburg. In May 2020, New Zealand Cricket awarded him the contract prior to the 2020-2021 season.
Devon Conway was born on Monday July 8, 1991 (29 years old; from 2020) in Johannesburg, Transvaal province, South Africa. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. Devon began his cricket career playing for the Gauteng team, a first-class cricket team from southern South Africa. He has been a part of various national teams over the years before joining the New Zealand cricket team.
Height (approx.): 5 ′ 11 ″
Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Brown
Fathers and brothers
Devon’s father’s name is Denton Conway and his mother’s name is Sandy Conway. His father is a soccer coach in Johannesburg. Devon has two older sisters: Candy and Charne Conway.
On July 23, 2020, Devon got engaged to his longtime girlfriend, Kim Watson. Kim has been very supportive of Devon’s career as a cricketer and moved to New Zealand and started her life over with Devon.
Devon began his career as a professional cricketer in 2009 when he joined the Gauteng cricket team and in August 2015, he was selected for the 2015 T20 Africa Cup. Devon’s performance at the provincial level was spectacular, and in 2017 Devon scored his first century first-class double for Gauteng. This was his first double century in the eight years of playing the game, but things did not go well for him in top-tier franchise cricket games as his performance was poor. He only had half a century in the 12 games he played with an average score of 22 runs. Devon could see that with this unsatisfactory performance, he would not make it to the South African team. In 2017, Devon decided to move to Wellington, New Zealand together with her fiancé, Kim Watson, to give a fresh start to her career as a cricketer. Devon joined the Victoria University Cricket Club as a player and coach. As a coach, he was traveling around Wellington, going to schools to train 10 and 11 year olds. In 2018, Devon signed a contract with the Wellington cricket team for the 2018-2019 cricket season in New Zealand. In May 2020, there was news of new entries into the 13-man black cap team and in November, coach Gavin Larsen informed Devon that his name has been shortlisted for the New Zealand cricket team. Devon Conway made his T20 international debut for New Zealand against the West Indies on November 27, 2020.
Facts / Trivia
- When Devon moved to New Zealand, he sold everything he owned in South Africa: his house, car, belongings, etc., because he moved to New Zealand to start a new life. Devon said-
I sold my property, my car, and everything we couldn’t bring in because I wanted to close that chapter and start over. If I hadn’t done that and my cricket didn’t feel good after a season I might have started thinking along the lines of ‘Maybe I can go backwards. I did not want “.
- During the 2018-2019 Plunket Shield season, Devon scored 659 runs in 7 games, making him the season’s top run scorer. Again in the 2019-2020 Plunket Shield season, he scored 701 runs in 6 games.
- In October 2019, Devon Conway played an inning scoring 327 runs for Wellington against Canterbury. This was the ninth century triple in first-class cricket in New Zealand.
- On January 6, 2020, he scored an undefeated century on just 49 balls during the 2019-2020 Super Smash tournament.
- In April 2020, Devon Conway was honored as the best national male player by New Zealand Cricket during their annual awards ceremony.
- Devon Conway is the second cricketer who was born in South Africa but plays for New Zealand. Before him, Grant Elliot was the first player to do so.
- In his spare time, Devon Conway enjoys playing golf and taking road trips with her fiancé and friends.